Thursday, April 28, 2016

THE PERFECT ALTAR SPOT

I know I've probably mentioned this in the past, but I spend a lot of time at my grandparents' house (where I was raised), about an hour away from my apartment. I'm here now as my grandfather just had his second knee replacement. He's doing fine and will make a quick recovery, but it does mean I'll be here for at least a week, probably longer, as no one else in the house can drive.

Now they live in a very rural area. I can go in the backyard and do rituals without a bunch of neighbors wondering what the heck is going on, and beyond the backyard is a ton of woods. (A much shorter trek than my usual spots at the apartment.) Usually I just sit under a big maple tree, or sometimes I use the fire pit they have.

But I was in the woods just near the backyard this evening with the puppy, and my gosh, the PERFECT spot is right out there. It's just right beyond the wood line, a circular clearing. I was standing there with the dog thinking it was a shame that a lot of trees had been cut down in the area few years ago... until I realized, that, you know, I now had a perfect view of sun, moon, and stars, through the trees. It's a completely private spot, not far from the house, amazing sky view... how could I not take advantage of this?

So tomorrow I'm going to check out a few hardware stores, see what they have for paving stones, garden rock supplies, that sort of thing. I'm thinking I can build a nice stone altar out there, flat surface to actually hold workings on. I also need to rake the cleaning out a bit, to give a nice area to build on. Perhaps partially outline the circle in smaller rocks from the backyard. A lot of ideas floating around right now.

I'm very excited to have found this spot that is so private, and yet, is also not a long hike through the woods. It means that I can actually build something that is more than just a small pile of stones, like the small shrines I've built in the woods around the apartment. I can finally have a large, permanent, outdoor working area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment