Sunday, June 3, 2012

Nature Escapes

"What kind of nature escapes do you have where you are? Do you have a local trail that you can simply take a walk on to escape? Or perhaps you have some neat hiking nearby... Or maybe you are one of the lucky ones that can simply escape into your own backyard, literally."


I'm one of the lucky ones. When I'm at my apartment, there's a good stretch of woods that takes just a few minutes to walk to. There's also a farm at one end of the woods, sometimes I sit at the edge of it watching the wind in the corn. When I'm visiting my Grandparents, the woods are right on the edge of the back yard. Both woods have little streams in them, trails, all sorts of plants and animals, as you'd expect from New Hampshire woods.

Of course, I don't always think of the woods as an escape exactly (perhaps I've been spoiled by having them so close?). I forage for various herbs and plants, and practice my craft in the woods. No, when I think of an escape, I think of someplace I go more to relax, to vacation. Sure, sometimes I just go for walks in my woods... but I like to really escape, too, you know?

Living in New Hampshire there's a lot of options for that. Every summer I like to go up camping in the mountains, and swim in the large lakes and rivers in that area. I try to get away for at least a whole week at some point - but friends and I often go up for little day or weekend trips, too. There's tons of nature to just explore and enjoy here. If not up north, then down to the beach. Or up to Maine, or into Vermont. I do think I'm very lucky to have so much of the wild around me, and to have the means to enjoy it when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment