Tuesday, March 12, 2013

This year's garden...

So I think I finally have the garden all planned out for this year. Mama's only request was scallions, and there will be plenty of those since we accidentally doubled up on scallion seeds. We've all been talking about making our own pickles again, so I also picked up some pickling cucumbers. My grandfather usually buys tomato plants for the garden, rather than starting them from seeds, but I thought it might be interesting to grow some mini-tomatoes (yellow pear) from seeds. I'm sure there will also be regular tomato plants, as well as cherry tomato plants, so if mine don't grow well it won't be a big loss.

One of the main things I wanted to try growing this year was a bit of corn. Corn (mainly in the form of cornmeal) has become a fairly important element in many of my workings, so I am looking forward to growing some of my own.

Then there are the herbs and flowers. Sage, lavender, mugwort, blue flax, and sunflowers. I've actually seen mugwort growing locally, and have been able to gather some at times, but it's often in areas which are hard for me to get to. (Or right up along roadsides, which are not great places to forage from.)

Of course, right now the garden is still covered in snow, and there's still a lot of work to be done before planting - it's been a long time since I've really been able to work in the garden, I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. I've started planning our balcony garden as well. Thinking big - if all goes well there will be tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkin, scallions, radish, fennel, lettuce, strawberries, herbs and nasturtium. And a tiny apple tree - I am dreaming of buying a second one, but might settle for cherry instead, if we find some. Although the apple trees were incredibly inexpensive last weekend... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you know, I might have to make a little room to try growing a pumpkin or two. When I was younger we grew watermelons one year too, which was a lot of fun. :)

      Delete