Sunday, August 24, 2014

Hestia, Days Seven and Eight

7. Names and epithets.
8. Variations on this deity (aspects, regional forms, etc.).

(Once again, I'm going to take two days at once to avoid making two very short posts...)

Hestia doesn't have many surviving epithets, the few I've been able to find are:
Boulaia - of the Council
Presveira - the Oldest
Pryeaneia - of the Prytaneis
and perhaps "first and last," which I have not personally seen appear truly as an epithet, but it is used to describe her in a hymn, and could be used as such.

Hestia does not have any particular aspects or regional forms that I'm aware of. I suppose Vesta might be considered by some to be a regional form, but I personally tend to consider them two different goddesses... Either way you wish to look at the relationship between the two, Vesta was part of day six, so you can read about her connection with Hestia there.

No comments:

Post a Comment