Thursday, June 2, 2016

Travel and Spirituality

I had an interesting conversation last night about travel and enjoying 'pagan' or spiritual spots while traveling, and wondering why more pagans didn't travel more, and explore these thin spots more.

And I can only speak for myself, of course, but for me, well, I can sure show off some beautiful pictures from my travels, like this shot from Colorado last summer, or I can tell you the stories of the thin spots. The spots that matter to my practice of paganism. They're not the same, and they don't generally come with such exciting pictures. (Although I think they're nice.)

Groves of old pines, the hidden crossroads in the woods, the meadow just past that, the quiet stream. Even the altar in my own kitchen.

Don't get me wrong. I love to travel, I am moved by the extraordinary beauty of the world around me, and there are quite a few ancient ruins I would love to someday pay my respects at, but for me, these are not the places where the work is done.



But, perhaps that is just part of being a hedgewitch. I've come to know and love the land around me, to care for the land around me. I travel when I can, it's always good to experience new places, get a feel for these other lands, but I always have that longing for home when I am away too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment