Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy 2015!



 Well, here's the traditional shot of my family's New Year dinner. A lot of our traditional favorites, like gyoza and sushi, and a few new dishes, like the baked snail my grandfather was very excited to try. And the chestnut buns (above the macaroons) which were an impulse buy, but turned out to be pretty tasty. There's more food on another table that didn't make it into the picture - chicken rice, bean buns, kielbasa, and more.

As always, too much food was made, as always we said we won't make so much next year... but we all know we will. (That's fine, I had some great leftovers for a few days!)

This year I realized that New Year's Day probably has the most significance to me out of all the holidays I celebrate, yet for some reason it never comes to mind when I think of my favorite holiday... but really, I think it has to be. There's just the pure mundane aspects of it, watching some of my favorite bands preforming on New Year's Eve, chatting with my sister and grandmother as we prepare the food for the next day. There's something a bit deeper, too, knowing that I'm helping to carry on this family tradition that's been going on for so many years now. Even in a more personal spiritual sense, there's something that always strikes me about the beginning of a new cycle, another new year. It's hard to put it into words, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment