Friday, April 22, 2016

Fate, Revisited

A few years back I wrote a bit about fate, the future, and foresight. It's a topic I've been revisiting a lot lately, after discussing the idea of fate and predestination with someone.

My basic thoughts on the subject have not changed, but the discussion did provide with some interesting insight. This was a person who did believe in predestination to some extent. That fate was a thing, we all had one, and there was no escaping it. Coincidences were not a thing, everything happens for a reason. Again, not my personal belief, but I get that it's a belief that's been around for a long, long time.

What was interesting to me, though, is they said if I didn't believe in such things, why would I be practicing a religion with rituals or doing spells, or anything else? Because if nothing is fated, or meant to be, what's the point?

See, to me, I feel the exact opposite way. I can't wrap my head around the idea of believing in predestination and doing spells, because what would the point be? Why do a healing work? Either someone would be fated to get better, or not. Why do a prosperity spell? Either the extra money will come your way, or it won't, and so on.

On the other hand, if you don't believe in fate, if you believe that there's freewill, that the future is malleable, it sure makes sense that people would be interesting in doing spells to gain favorable outcomes.

I do realize it's not all one or the other, that one can believe that only a few events in life are fated to be. It's this grey area I've been wondering about lately, thinking about how it may fit into my beliefs, if, truly, it fits in at all. At this point, I'm not sure that it does...

No comments:

Post a Comment